Monday, November 10, 2014

Girl Meets Maya's World: Chapter 10

Chapter 10: I'm Not a Little Girl

When I got home, I rushed in everything I was doing, waiting and waiting for the right time to call Lucas and tell him what happened today. I ate dinner as fast as I could, when my mother walked into the house. "Hey, Maya. You home?" she called. "In here!" I called putting my dishes into the dishwasher. "Hey, I'm going for another shift at 11 tonight, you'll be here by yourself, is that okay?" she asked. "Yeah, that's fine" I agreed. My mother looked down at my pin on my jacket. "Where'd you get that beautiful pin?" she asked glancing at it. "Oh, just a friend" I answered, holding it in my fingers, looking down at it only once.

My mom patted my head and made her way upstairs. I slowly turned around after her head pat and looked at her with a confused/annoyed look. I placed myself on the couch and started thinking about the danger Riley could be in. Then I looked down at Spike's pin to reassure myself. I decided I wasn't going to just sit around all night. I haven't actually been able to see Riley, face-to-face in what seemed like months, but was only a week or two. I decided to go over to the Matthews Residents and see my best friend for once. It was way before my mom left for The Nighthawk Diner, that I made my way to Riley's house. When I got there, I knocked on the door, instead of buzzing in, it seemed like the right thing to do. Mrs. Matthews answered the door. "Hello, Maya" she said. "Hi, Mrs. Matthews is Riley home?" I asked. "Yes of course, she's still recovering, but come on in" she said moving so I could step in. "Maya!"Auggie called, running at me and then hugging me tightly. "Whoa, what's up little man?" I asked bending down at him. "Your here" he smiled. "Yeah, of course I am, why wouldn't I be?" I asked. "Because your never are anymore" he said. Mrs. Matthews stretched her lips out, looking at me. I think I must've done something wrong. "Oh, I'm sorry about that. Things with your sister are just trying to get through my head ya know" I said, rubbing Auggie's head. Auggie's facial expressions were sad. His smile turned to a frown and I didn't know why. "I'm sorry" I said. He hugged me, I could feel his cold tears dropping on my shirt. I was bent down on one knee this whole time, to reach his height. When we pulled out, he held his little hands on my shoulders and his face was wet and red, but he had a big smile across his face. I laughed quietly and smiled back at him. "We can play together, but you should go see Riley first" Auggie suggested. "Yeah, okay!" I smiled rubbing his little head. I stood up and walked to Mr. Matthews.

"Hey, Mr. Matthews" I said placing myself beside him. He looked at me sadly and then faced forwards again. "Mr. Matthews, I'm so so sorry for not coming in sooner, I just thought you and Riley needed your space to recover and didn't want me getting all in your business" I said. He looked at me, tears rolling down his cheeks. "Maya, your apart of this family and we need you to be here for us and we want to be there for you during hard times like this" Mr. Matthews said. "I'm so sorry" I said. "It's okay, Maya. I know you meant no harm. But Riley needs you more right now, more than I do" he said, motioning to Riley's room. "Yeah, okay" I said standing up and walking over to the hallway by Riley's room.

The door was shut and I looked at it. "I remember when it was so brightning and gave me happiness, not fear" I thought. I knocked on the door and then opened it. "Maya" I called, like I was buzzing in. "Come on up" Riley replied, laying on her bed, smiling. I walked in and sat on the edge of her bed. Her face had bruises on it and her left eye was black. I looked around and the majority of the spots on her were covered in blood, or bruisings. "I'm sorry I didn't come sooner, or even call in the least" I apologized immediately. "That's okay" she replied in a trembly voice. "I was just so shocked and it bit me like...Kiwi did to me 6 times" I laughed. "He's doing good" Riley said glancing at Kiwi's cage. "The very day at school, the principal announced all Grade 7 classes to stay in homeroom and not go to Period 1. She came in and told us what happened and that the student was you and it hit me like a boulder. Me, Farkle and Lucas were all devistated and we went home that day because we couldn't stand being at school, with this news just broken to us" I said. "Oh" she said. "I cried for hours on end, I cried for like probably 80% of that day" I added. "Did she tell you?" I asked. "Who? Tell me what?" she asked. "Brooklyn, did she tell you I came that night, to rescue you?" I asked. "Yeah, her and Connor did. They made me think that they were holding you hostage" she said. "Oh, wow" I replied. "Yeah, and then she said that you got out" Riley added.  "Yeah, I did. They weren't gonna hold me hostage anyway" I said. "What's that pin?" Riley asked pointing to Spike's pin. "Oh, interesting story, actually" I said. Riley looked at me like she was waiting to hear it. "Well, I was going to Brooklyn's house, earlier today to give her a piece of my mind and well, I was just about to ring the doorbell when I found myself being yanked down her driveway and slammed into the side of her house" I explained. "What!? Who did that?" she asked. "They meant no harm, it was, you won't believe this" I said. "Who, who was it?" she asked. "Spike" I responded, ever so softly. "Spike? What, really!?" she asked happily. "Yeah, he told me to not go back to Brooklyn's and he gave me this pin and said I will always be undefeatable with it" I said. "Oh, yay! I can't believe he came back" she said. "Yeah, he just wants to help other kids get out of the situation you are in and he was in" I added. "Oh" she said. "Yeah and the best part is he told me not to worry and he is going to try and help you out" I told her. "Yay! I feel a bit better now...only emotionally though" she sighed. "Yeah, I know. I tried to help, but Lucas was being overprotective and wouldn't let me go too far" I said. "Typical Lucas, huh?" Riley asked. "Yeah, I know that" I replied. "Your too young to go through this" I said. Riley's smiled faded like a rainbow. "Your just a little girl--" she cut me off right then. "I'm not a little girl, Maya" she said. "Yes, you are, your 12" I said. "Yeah, but I'm not a little girl anymore" she said. "Am I a little girl?" I asked. "Yeah, you still are, but I'm not" she said. "How, I'm older than you. I turned 12 before you" I said. "Yeah, but your still a little girl, I'm not" she said. "How is that possible?" I asked. "Did Connor do that to you? Make you grow up too fast?" she asked. "What?" I asked. "Did he?" she repeated. "No, of course not" I replied. "Well then your still a little girl" she said. "But what did Connor do?" I asked. It went silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment